Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Show and Tell: Purses

I love it when I can make something that is not only stylish, but functional as well.  Here are a few of the purses/bags that I've made and used:

This was my first try at using round handles.  I loved this purse but lost it in an Asahi Beer accident onboard an overseas flight coming home from Japan....long story~

DIY purse, DIY handbag, handmade handbag, handmade purse, Chinese fabric, round purse handles, bamboo purse handles, easy sewing project

I was able to save the handles so I made a replacement.  It's only slightly different, with a rounded bottom instead of the square corners of the original.


DIY purse, DIY handbag, handmade handbag, handmade purse, embroidered fabric, round purse handles, bamboo purse handles, easy sewing project

I loved this fabric because it came already embroidered!

 When something I  make calls for a lining I like to do something special and create a surprise with something contrasting.  I think it personalizes the project more.

Here's yet another in the same style but a mini version:


DIY handbag, DIY purse, cotton purse, small purse, round handles

And for something new, here's a large bag I made.  I had some friends who were expecting babies when I made this and was going to make another version as a stylish diaper bag but they both went for napsacks instead.  I still think I'd rather carry my diapers in this though~


grey flannel bag, gray flannel bag, grey wool bag, gray wool bag, DIY purse, Easy DIY purse, DIY tote bag, diaper bag, winter bag

The great thing with making your own purse is that you can put as many pockets and organizers in the lining as you want!



I almost forgot about this one because I don't use it very often.  I made it using a hotpatterns pattern.  It's supposed to look like the bag that Anne Hathway has in The Devil Wears Prada but somehow mine ended up about half the size:

wool bag, Anne Hathaway bag, Devil Wears Prada bag, DIY bag, DIY purse

The other thing I love about making purses and bags is that they don't require very much fabric.  All of these bags were made from the scraps of other projects....not that I ever wear the purse with the matching top!  That would be a bit too much.  It's just a great way to save $$$ if you have left overs.  See if you can find the original projects for the grey wool and patent leather here .

Thanks for letting me share all of my purse projects with you.  In the course of pulling all of them out of the closet and going through them I found an extra $2.35 that I didn't know I had!  Off to the fabric store I guess~


2 comments:

{ erin } said...

I love "The Devil Wears Prada" and as soon as I saw your bag I thought of the one she carried to James Holt's party. yep. You did good!! :)

ana@carpe_diem said...

i like your work! these purses are great!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...