Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cute Spring Jacket...for me!

I made this jacket several seasons ago but I thought I'd share it anyway because it's so cute.  I used a "Built by Wendy"pattern from Simplicity.


Built by Wendy is a series of patterns and sewing books by Wendy Mullin, a New York based fashion designer.  She also has an online shop as well as a couple of retail stores.  Her latest line looks like it has a lot of basics that have a sort of Anthropologie vibe to them.

This little jacket pattern is actually from 2007 but it must be popular because it's still active in the Simplicity line.  As I recall, it was very simple to put together.  A raglan sleeve, which you see on a lot of sportswear, usually simplifies construction.
Example of a Raglan Sleeve
Here's my version of the jacket:


It fits very, very nicely.  Originally I wanted to use a matching raspberry coloured zipper but my quest to find one went unanswered and I had to settle for a contrasting one in black.  The fabric is cotton with quite a bit of stretch in it.

There are only two things about this jacket that I'm not crazy about.  It's unlined, which I could easily take care of, and the length of the sleeves is a little awkward.  Really the whole reason I made it was because I thought the sleeves were cute and I envisioned myself dancing around the beach a la Annette Funicello or Gidget but, if it's cool enough out to wear a jacket, you probably want something that's going to cover your arms~

                       

I don't normally connect with the the fashions of the early 60's but can't you just see one of those girls dancing around the bonfire with their boyfriends wearing this?

I think with a couple of very minor adjustments this would be a great jacket for any upper beginner sewer to try out.  Even the zipper is pretty easy to install and because there's no lining, it takes no time at all.

What do you think of elbow or 3/4 length sleeves?  Leave a comment below and let me know.

I've added a couple of new linky parties to the list so make sure to hit the linky party tab and check them out!

Have a great week everyone~


4 comments:

Jan said...

You did a great job on the jacket. I have used her patterns before and they are a breeze to sew I too prefer a lining in a jacket, at least the sleeves. Iike three quarter sleeves as I always pull mine up and I seem to have shorter arms than the standard size. For zippers, try MacPhee workshop out of Edmonton. She mail orders very quickly. Lastly, I always loved watching those beach movies. I really thought that was what it was like to be a teen. They were the High School Musicals of their time.

melissa said...

That's a lovely jacket - I'll have to keep an eye out for any patterns floating around from that line (maybe on Ebay if not still on simplicity). Looks like the perfect option for cool summer evenings :) - Melissa

Moois van mie said...

i find it a very nice jacket ! In my favorite colour ! And i'm impressed that you made it yourself, even if you say it its a simple pattern. I can't believe making a jacket is easy ;) But the sleeves... they look great, but i 'm not sure it is handy , a jacket with shorter sleeves....

Amy @ TheMombot.com said...

I love it! I think it's totally adorable. It's pretty for covering up when the sun starts to go down or on a 70 degree-ish day. Kudos on following the pattern and doing so well. As a fellow sewer and former fashion student, I know what a pain it can be!
Amy @ www.themombot.com

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...